This month is brought to you in honor of teachers and students every where who are more than ready for spring break; our northern friends who are tired of the oh so long winter and fighting the cold; and anyone who just wants to do something really easy for a change.
Brain Dead is the 9th installment in the Quilty Friends block of the month program.
General Description of block: This is a basic nine patch block with Quilty Friends signature corners. The intent is to be scrappy in the manner that old time quilts were scrappy, yet unified by the setting pinwheels.
Cutting Directions: (17 pieces)
FQG - Dark and light refer to your kit fabrics.
- from dark (solid green in kit) - cut 1, 5 1/4 inch square. Sub-cut this square twice diagonally into 4 small triangles.
- from light (green 30's print in kit) - cut 1, 5 1/4 inch square. Sub-cut this square twice diagonally into 4 small triangles.
- from your scraps cut 5, 4 1/2 inch squares for center and edge blocks
- from your scraps cut 2, 5 1/4 inch squares. Sub-cut squares once diagonally into two large triangles for a total of 4 large triangles for corner blocks.
- Sew one dark and one light small triangle together to make a large triangle.
- Being careful not to warp the triangles, iron seams open.
- BE CAREFUL TO MAKE THEM ALL THE SAME
- Make 4
- Using the right angle to align the pieces, sew each two colored triangle to a large triangle.
- Trim the excess seam allowance (This should be all from the large, single fabric, triangle.)
- Being careful not to warp the triangles, iron seams toward the large triangle.
- Trim to 4 1/2 inches square
- Make 4
A quilt made from 12 of these blocks would look something like this.....
Bring your finished block(s) to the March general meeting of the Frisco Quilt Guild to enter the drawing. The winner gets to take home all of the blocks entered as well as any remaining kits, printed finishing suggestions, and scrap fabric from this project.
This month's winner also receives a free labor coupon from one of our guild's long arm quilters.