Monday, May 9, 2011

Introduction

Kelli is a dear friend of mine. I've known her for a long time, although it probably isn't as long as it seems. She is the sort of friend who is so ingrained in who you are that there couldn't possibly be a time when you didn't now them. We all know that there is always a before. For Kelli and I, it was before I met you, and before I became a long-arm quilter and before my youngest boy started school. It was before a lot of things, but not before God knew I would need a special little sister.

Kelli asked me to design a block of the month for her. Her requirements: 1) It must be beginner friendly; 2) It can not require special tools; 3) It must be interesting; and 4) It can be made using scraps. I didn't think twice before I said yes. This is the program that I am sharing with you. I call it "Quilty Friends."

"Quilty Friends," was made to share with friends. It was also designed with the thought that blocks in a sampler quilt should blend together as equal parts of a larger body. They should play well together, like good friends. Additionally, the blocks are designed to be versatile, replicating well. Each square can stand on it's own - something we should be able to see each month when our blocks are gathered together.

Using this program, Kelli and I made sampler quilts. We selected yardage for the entire project at the beginning and made the quilt one block a month for year. This time, I'm taking those blocks, and changing them around just a bit. Each month you get a block pattern, color theme, and a fabric kit (Only for members of the Frisco Quilt Guild.) You provide the fabric necessary to complete the block, and a little of your time.

If you are a member of Frisco Quilt Guild in Frisco TX, bring your finished block to the next guild meeting and your name will be put in a drawing to receive the whole batch. The winner gets the blocks, written finishing suggestions, and whatever kits are left over. Participation is necessary to win.

If you would like to quilt along on your own, making the original sampler quilt, yardage requirements, as well as color helps will be posted here as well as on the Frisco Quilt Guild web site www.Friscoquiltguild.org, and Facebook page. Facebook page.

A final note: Each block measures 12 inches finished. It would help my planning and the guild's finances if we practice good stewardship. Please use the digital versions of my directions whenever possible. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. If for some reason you take a fabric kit and do not end up using it, please return it. I will make sure that it gets to the winner of that months swap.

To give you a head start, here are the color themes for the first few months:
July - Red, White, & Blue
August - Summer Brights - tangerine, lime green, aqua, purple
September - Back To School with classic jewel tones

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a comment or question. I'll get back to you as soon as I am able.