Thursday, September 25, 2014
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Can you see the beacons from last month? They have gone all stripy on us...becoming that favorite seasonal sweet known as candy corn. I believe it is already in the stores. (Does it ever leave?)
Just for the fun of it...did you know that if you combine a bag of candy corn and a jar of roasted peanuts in a bowl you have the makings of a sweet treat that tastes just like a Payday bar? Add some milk chocolate M&M's and you have a Baby Ruth. Both options are delicious.
- The Quilt:
- Measures 62" x 86" as described
- Is made of 24, 12" finished blocks arranged in a 4 x 6 grid.
- Has 2 borders
- Inner border is 1" finished
- Outer border is 6" finished
- The Block:
- Measures 12" finished (actually measures 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" before incorporation into the quilt)
- 4 patch construction - all 4 patches are the same.
- Is paper pieced. Please do not let this be a deal breaker. Follow my tutorial I promise this is not that hard. If you would like additional help let me know. I'd be glad to host a workshop.
FQG: Angie has provided the paper patterns as well as orange. You will need to add white, yellow, and black.
- 8, 2 1/2" x 4" rectangle (pieces #1 and 7)
- 8, 3" x 5 1/2" rectangle (pieces #4 and 5)
- 4, 3" x 5" rectangle (piece #2)
- 4, 2 3/4" x 6 1/2" rectangle (piece #3)
- 4, 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangle (piece #6)
- Paper pattern
- 4, 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" patterns Measure the pattern along the dotted lines...you should see them 1/4" beyond the last solid line outlining the big squares. If the pattern you printed is not 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" you will need to fiddle with the shrink/enlarge feature of your printer to get it the correct size. This link will print all four quadrants of the block - each is the same, other than it is labeled A, B, C, or D. You need one printed copy of this for each block you plan to make.
- Follow the paper pattern and piece as directed. Use my tutorial for a refresher.
- When you have completed all 4 sections of the block, sew them together into a 2 x 2 grid. Make sure that the Orange stripes are the closest to the center of the block.
- Pop seams and iron in a spiral.
- Remove papers.
FQG - Return your finished block to Angie by October 28, 2014, or bring it to the meeting on that night to be eligible to win all of the blocks. If you have not finished your block by that time, bring the kit to the meeting and no questions will be asked.
If you make this quilt, please send me a picture, or add it to the Tops to Treasures group on Flickr. I would love to see it.