Wednesday, November 16, 2011
The votes are in....after some slight discussion at the Guild meeting last night it was decided to skip a month.
FQG - the December block, Dancing Tulips will be turned in at our January meeting. There will be NO BOM swap at the Christmas party in December.
Everyone else - I have decided that I am a little OCD. It bothers me to skip a month. It shouldn't...but it is a "block of the month" not a "block of the when I feel like it." No judgement, just sayin', my issues. So look for a new pattern toward the end of December. You can call it my gift to you.
Monday, November 14, 2011
- Sew one dark and one light small triangle together to make large triangle.
- Being careful not to warp the triangles, iron seams open.
- Make 4.
- Be careful to sew each set in the same order. The finished large triangles should be identical.
- Sew 3, 2 ½ inch squares into “L” shapes with white (2nd contrasting fabric) on the legs and dark green (1st contrasting fabric) in the corner.
- Iron seams toward white (2nd contrasting fabric).
- Trim “L” shapes 1/4 inch to the outside of the three point intersection. You will be cutting white fabric only. The remaining shape is trianglish with three right corners.
- Align light and dark large triangle center seam along the inner and outer corners of “L” shape, right sides and hypotenuses together.
- Sew along the hypotenuse. Iron seams toward light and dark triangle side of square.
- Trim square to 4 ½ inches.
- Make 4
- Draw a diagonal line on wrong side of all 2 ½ inch squares. (There should be 16)
- Align dark green (1st contrasting) 2 ½ square with a corner of a 4 ½ inch square of teal (background fabric) with right sides together and the drawn line parallel to the corner.
- Sew on diagonal line.
- Fold dark green (1st contrasting fabric) back so piece is 4 ½ inches square. There should be three pieces of fabric meeting in one corner.
- Continue this process in each corner making sure that two contiguous corners are dark green (1st contrasting fabric) and two are white (2nd contrasting fabric).
- Leaving a 1/4 inch seam allowance, trim excess fabric from back of block.
- Make 4
- row 1& 3 - corner square with light & dark side on the outside edge; middle edge block with dark green (1st contrasting fabric) next to dark green (1st contrasting fabric) and white (2nd contrasting fabric) next to white (2nd contrasting fabric); corner square with light & dark side on the outside edge.
- row 2 - middle edge block with white (2nd contrasting fabric) to the outside; teal (background) square; middle edge block with white (2nd contrasting fabric) to the outside.
- Assemble rows so that same fabrics are touching to make one 12 ½ inch block (actual size, including future seam allowances.)